Saturday, April 28, 2012

Under the Sea

When soon to be 5 year old Peyton was asked what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday, he didn't hold back and was very specific. He wanted a shark and a BIG one! And who am I to deny the birthday boy of what he wants?! 


 

Watch out Jaws, there is a new shark in town and he's ready to CHOMP into some cake!!



Of course I watch all of those cake shows and they make it look so easy molding things out of rice crispy treats so I was tickled pink that I was actually going to get the opportunity to try...and surprisingly it was very easy! I knew I wanted it to look like the shark was coming out of the water (i.e. the cake) so I molded his head and a portion of his back. This is how he turned out. Of course I had to eat a few of the leftovers when I was finished :) but once I was done treating myself, I covered him with rolled fondant. Then I added his eyes, teeth and fin which were all made of gumpaste. 

When I showed the final product to my husband he admitted that when I originally sent him this picture he was a little nervous about how I was going to make this (above picture) look like a shark. 



The one eyed, one tooth shark :) not that scary now but just you wait.



People have asked me if I'm ever nervous about how things are going to turn out. To be honest...yes but that is only because I am a perfectionist. I get visions in my head of these amazing creations and sometimes it is hard to make my visions a reality but I frequently shock even myself with how my cakes turn out. I personally never imagined this shark would turn out so cool :) and for those of you who are wondering...yes my husband was blown away by the final product!



Peyton's mommy wanted to go with an under the sea theme for the cupcakes, so I constructed these little sea creatures from gumpaste...star fish, crabs and sea turtles.



I must admit the little sea turtles were my favorite :)



The cake and cupcakes were devils food cake topped with a plain buttercream icing. Everything was edible including the rocks at the bottom which were made of fondant.


Five is such a great age and is probably the first birthday Peyton will truly remember. I'm so glad that I was able to be apart of his special day! 

 Happy 5th Birthday Peyton! CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP :)

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! Those Sea Turtles are AWESOME!!!!! Chelsea, you ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply adorable. I am so proud of you. Better not put the cake too close to the cupcakes. Jaws might eat the little sea creatures.

    ReplyDelete