Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL!?

"A Thursday night party? 'Cause all my rowdy friends are comin' over tonight!"

I have one simple question...is it football season yet?! I don't know about you but I know I'm ready for some football :) and what goes great with football...aside from chicken wings and beer...well of course cake ;-)


One of my husbands co-workers put in an order for a birthday cake for their son who will be celebrating 22 years of life on Thursday. Of course I got excited when they told me they wanted to do a Washington Redskins cake and I got right to work. {For the record the Redskins are not my team. Go Broncos!! I've been a loyal fan since John Elway}


I started off with the native head and went from there. To give this amazing family the ability to cut through the cake, all the pieces are made of fondant which is more flexible than gum paste.


After adding some feathers and accents I used an edible black marker and carefully hand draw the facial features on. I must admit I'm very impressed with myself...drawing has never been my thing...ok lets be honest my almost 2 year old son can draw a better stick figure than me. But I managed to make his features look as real as possible.


This devils food cake is covered in my favorite homemade chocolate icing. I opted not to give the icing a smooth look and went for a more textured look which I really think made the chocolate pop. 


Wrapped around the sides of the cake is the name of the football team "REDSKINS" which is also made out of fondant.


My favorite part of this cake was the feathers. Unfortunately the picture doesn't give it justice...the tips of the feather were a darker golden yellow while the inside was a lighter yellow. The tips looked like they were on fire.

I can't wait for the birthday boy (well I guess technically man) to see his surprise cake! 
HAPPY 22ND BIRTHDAY BRAD!!


Football season will be here soon enough so if you need a sweet treat for your tailgating party featuring your favorite team contact me at Simply Sweet! I truly believe in the power of the "word of mouth" and want to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who has helped spread the word. 


2 comments:

  1. so chels. can you do my wedding cake cupcakes? we need to talk...this is awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!! :) You're SO talented and I'm SO proud of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete